Your Story Matters
Quote by Donald Miller, written by Ali, get more great storytelling quotes here. Jen was gracious enough to invite me to be apart of her Influencers group and speak. I of course talked about my love of memory keeping and being my families historian. We chatted documenting the hard stuff and why it’s important. I realized that I very much document hard stuff with a lens of hope and gratitude. Am I keeping it real? Yes. But, I’m also using documenting the hard stuff to help me see the hope and gratitude in everything.
Why Does Storytelling Matter To You?
For me, it started with a love of photos. With the introduction of Project Life and even more so when Ali Edwards Story Kits with classes came out, it gradually transitioned into the love of photos and words. As cliché as it sounds, life changes so fast. It may seem like life never changes and it would be boring to document the same thing over and over but you honestly just never know what tomorrow will bring.
I’ve been documenting our families story very regularly since 2009. I’ve done many projects including Project Life (both daily and weekly), Day in the Life, Week in the Life and in 2016 I discovered the 1 Second Everyday app and started documenting our lives in tiny snippets of video.
I love it. I love the process, but mostly I love the end product. I love to go back through my old Project Life/Week in the Life albums and see what our day-to-day life looked like. You would be surprised as to how much of your routine and everyday changes in even one year. And, you just never know what tomorrow holds. I never would have guessed that Cancer would be part of my story. But, I look forward to the day when we look back on this chapter of my life and can see what we have overcome.
And another bonus of documenting my families story, is my kids will never be able to tell me that we never did anything. It’s all documented. All the fun stuff we did. ?
So, now that I have you convinced that you need to tell your story. I’m sure you are asking, How do I get started? There are so many great ways you can approach memory keeping. Getting crafty with the physical project, going digital and printing out a book, or even doing a video. Or, be like me and do it all. HA.
Document Your Everyday:
- Want to go digital? You can literally do everything from your phone. How much easier could it get? Check out Becky Higgins Project Life app.
- Want to get crafty and make a physical album? Easiest way to start would be a kit, page protectors and album from Becky Higgins. Want to be a little more adventurous? I love and use Ali Edwards Story Kits and Story Stamp. The subscription includes products and inspirational videos each month.
- Use the 1 Second Everyday app and record your life in 1 second snippets.
- Either way you go (digital or physical), make sure you get some words included with your photos!
- You can view my Project Life spreads here (I’m not great at posting, so there is not many posted, sorry.) I now, do project life in a chronological order, not necessarily daily or weekly.
- Ali Edwards has some great inspiration for documenting monthly. Check out her 2019 Project Life spreads here. That’s right, just set aside a couple hours once a month. Easy and totally doable!!
- You can view my 1 Second Everyday videos here.
I’ve asked a few times, how can I help the Wear’s? Here is one way! Love you so much!